Although there are hundreds of different types of sinus medication available, herbal remedies for sinus infection are becoming more and more popular. While some people experience sinus problems year round, for others it is a seasonal problem related to pollen or other airborne particles.
In both instances it is a painful and not something sufferers experience on a regular basisl, but the majority of conventional medicines treat only the symptoms related to the problem and not the root cause of it.
What are the symptoms of a sinus infection?
- Discharge through the nostrils
- Mild to severe headaches
- Toothaches, particularly in the molars
- Losing the ability to smell
- In severe cases, fever
- Sore throat and coughing
- Cannot smell
The great thing about herbal remedies for sinus infections is the fact that there are no side effects to the treatments. Although those using the treatments may feel a little different after having used the herbs, it is often just the fact that they are trying a new way of dealing with an infection and not the treatment itself. Synthetic drugs may solve the problem quicker than herbal remedies – but the full scope of their side effects is still unknown.
The following are herbal remedies for sinus infection:
- Coneflower – is an all round stimulant for the immune system and will play a role in curing a sinus infection but not heal it entirely
- Eyebright – a very effective anti-inflammatory that provides specific relief to blocked sinuses
- Eucalyptus – brewed as a tea or bought in a shop as a lozenge, this herb provides soothing relief from sinus pain
- Garlic and Ginger – in addition to boosting the immune system, a tea brewed with these ingredients can provide a tremendous amount of relief to blocked sinuses
- Goldenseal – has properties that are both antibacterial and antiviral and can assist in pain relief
- Jamaican dogwood – effective when used in conjunction with other herbs for pain relief
- Liquorice – unhealthy for people with high blood pressure, good for those with low blood pressure; also provides relief and sooths – especially useful for people who suffer from heartburn
- Wild Indigo – used almost exclusively for the relief of pain associated with sinus pain and blockages
Essential oils placed in a bath may also be very helpful to the clearing of sinuses. Steaming by placing the oils in boiling water and covering head and pot with a towel to breathe the vapours is very effective.
One essential oil in particular that is very effective with any kind of sinus problem is Lavender. For sinus headaches, congestion and drainage – the kind that causing coughing – a touch of Lavender oil placed directly on each cheek and above each eyebrow will usually clear up the drainage and open up sinus passages in a matter of minutes.
Herbal remedies for sinus infections relieve pain and totally alleviate the body of the symptoms directly related to or associated with sinus congestion. Making use of the herbs in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle will aid the body in recovering faster and fighting off future infections.