More and more parents are seeking diaper rash herbal remedies as opposed applying lotions and oils with unpronounceable ingredients that can be absorbed by soft, sensitive baby skin.
About Diaper Rash
Diaper rash is a common infant skin condition encountered at least once by new parents. It is easily recognizable as a red rash around the baby’s genital area; common causes include prolonged exposure to soiled diapers and reactions to chemicals found in disposable diapers or detergents used to wash cloth diapers.
- Calendula Cream – made from dried petals of the Calendula flower, this antibacterial salve prevents infection and speeds healing; it is one of the most preferred diaper rash remedies available
- Chamomile – known for anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, cream or tea infused from this herb can be applies directly onto affected areas
- Plantain – crushed fresh leaves from the plantain plant, unrelated to the tree that bears banana-like fruit, can be placed in a dry diaper to soothe irritation and expedite healing
- Shea Butter – made from Shea nuts, this acts as a moisturizer while forming a seal on the baby’s skin; it heals and prevents reoccurrence
- Floral Baby Oil – Mix a few drops of Lavender essential oil and Chamomile essential oil in about a cup of vegetable oil and use mixture as a soothing and healing baby oil.
Products marketed as herbal remedies for diaper rash may or may not be organic. If you seek purely organic products, check the ingredients carefully.
Due to a loophole in federal regulation, many personal care products labeled “organic” actually use non-organic materials as their main cleansing ingredients. Unlike food products, proper regulation of the term “organic” does not exist in reagrd to herbal remedies. As a safeguard only purchase products certified under the USDA National Organic Program.
The best solution to diaper rash is to prevent an outbreak by keeping the baby’s genitals clean, dry and exposed to air whenever possible. If and when outbreaks do occur, diaper rash herbal remedies are a safe and soothing choice.