A colic home remedy is something that many parents would really appreciate when their new baby suffers from colic. The parents will really be happy to find something that makes their uncomfortable and hurting child feel better.
What is Colic?
Colic is a spasm of the intestines or gas trapped within the intestines. This causes pain and discomfort to the child and it is a difficult time for the rest of the family. Some children only experience a mild case of colic and others are unlucky enough to require hospital treatment for it. For all of these children an herbal colic home remedy may help to relieve the symptoms.
Catnip and Fennel Tea
One of great colic home remedies is a mix of catnip and fennel tea. You can make this remedy by:
- Pour one cup of boiling water over two teaspoons dried Catnip leaves and one teaspoon of fennel.
- Leave it for 15 minutes to brew.
- Strain the liquid thoroughly to remove any bits.
You can drink this brew immediately before nursing to pass the benefits onto your baby or add it directly to their bottle.
Sometimes you might need to make a stronger brew. You can make this by putting a handful of Catnip and a tablespoon of Fennel in 4 cups of water and then simmering for 20 minutes. Give the child one dropper of this at a time every half an hour until the discomfort eases.
You can also use other aromatic seeds like Dill, Anise and Cumin to create a colic home remedy seed tea. Simply pour the cup of boiling water over one teaspoon of any combination of the seeds and brew for 15 minutes. This seed tea offers antispasmodic and calmative effects that help relieve the colic.
A great alternative remedy, which is recommended by Susun Weed’s Healing Wise, is to put cold wet wool socks on your baby’s feet and then a pair of dry cotton socks on top of the wool pair. Apparently, mother’s reported that their child relaxed and fell asleep soon afterwards.
Slippery Elm Gruel
Another possibility is Slippery Elm gruel. To make this:
- Mix a liquid sweetener (not honey because of the risk of botulism in young babies) with Slippery Elm powder until it is wet.
- Add hot milk of water until porridge forms.
Give the child one or more servings to calm the intestines.
Ways to Prevent Colic
The following are all reputed to help prevent your baby suffering from colic:
- Small, frequent feeds
- Soothe your baby with skin-to-skin contact when feeding
- Feed in a calm, safe place
In addition, if you are nursing try to avoid the following foods:
- Avoid gas-producing foods, like broccoli, kale, cabbage, onions and garlic
- Try to skip beans and spicy foods during the early days
- Limit the intake of natural laxatives like prune juice
All of these can help digestion flow more easily and reduce the changes of colic.
A colic home remedy will certainly come in handy if your child suffers from it, and it may even help you to prevent it in the first place.