The Arjuna herb, Terminalia Arjuna, is actually a tree native to India and the forests of the Himalayas, as well as in Sri Lanka and Myanmar. It is the bark of the Arjuna tree that is used in herbal medicine and is known to be one of the best natural heart tonics and strengtheners, and in addition to be effective again angina, it is a strong astringent.
The bark of the Arjuna tree contains many beneficial chemicals including:
- Gallic acid
- Ellagic acid
- …as well as numerous triterpine glycosides
In Ayurvedic herbal medicine, Arjuna is prescribed to patients with cardiovascular ailments as it works as a tonic to strengthen the heart and regular blood pressure. Other heart benefits include:
- Promote normal blood flow
- Strengthens the muscles of the heart
- Helps regular cholesterol by supporting how the blood absorbs lipids
- Rich in CoQ10 it helps with energy levels, immunity and stamina
- Helps prevent hardening of the arteries
Additionally, Arjuna helps reduce the harmful effects on the heart of nervousness and stress.
The herb is an effective treatment for kidney stones, cleansing the urinary system and promotes healthy bile.
The powdered bark of the Arjuna tree is usually added to medicines, tinctures or capsules.